Emerita Faculty (1970-1988), Department of Anthropology
Dr. Elizabeth Morris was born to archaeologists Earl H. and Anne Axtell Morris in 1932. She graduated from Boulder High school in 1949, received her B.A. from Antioch College in 1954 and both her M.A. (1957) and Ph.D. (1959) from the University of Arizona. While at Antioch College, Dr. Morris had an internship with Paul S. Martin and Elaine Bluhm at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. This internship helped her decide to become an archaeologist.
After receiving her degrees, Dr. Morris worked on the Iranian Prehistoric Project with Robert Braidwood and the Harvard Upper Paleolithic Project in France under the direction of Hallam Movius. She was a research assistant at the Laboratory of Tree Ring Research in Arizona and edited the southwestern archaeological journal Kiva.
Dr. Morris started her teaching career at Temple University, but by 1970 had returned to Colorado to teach at CSU in the Department. During her tenure, she served as the department chair as well as the director of the field school. She retired in 1988 as a Professor Emerita.
Dr. Morris traveled all over the world doing archaeological, ethnographic and historical work. She excavated or presented professional papers in Canada, Mexico, Russia, Austria, China, Israel, Iran, France and Denmark.
After retirement, Dr. Morris continued to pursue research at high-altitude sites in the Rockies and Basketmaker sites in the southwest.
Liz Morris Obituary by Kelly J. Pool and Michael D. Metcalf